Saturday, January 12, 2008

Babyshambles - Shotters Nation review

Photobucket

::NOTE:: I wrote this review forever ago (The week it was released actually) but I've been listening to it non stop the past few days so I thought I'd post it here.

As Far as I can tell there are two Pete Dohertys. The most recognisable one, unfortunately, being the drug addicted ex boyfriend of supermodel Kate Moss who has appeared in more gossip magazines then almost anyone else alive today.

The second is Peter Doherty, the poet/musician who spent most of his early life obsessing over the likes of Byron, Keats, Wilde and The Smiths. The second is the kind of person who can find beauty in the smallest of things and wants nothing more then to share it with the world.

Doherty may have lost his way to some extent but the new release from his current band, Babyshambles, is proof positive that he’s slowly finding his way back.

I have to admit, I wasn’t the biggest fan of Babyshambles debut album, Down In Albion. The only tracks I really liked turned out to be unreleased demos from Dohertys previous band, The Libertines.

However, the new album, Shotters Nation had me hooked halfway through the first listen. The recordings are cleaner and far better produced. But more importantly the songs have a clarity and honesty which had been missing up until now.

One of the real standouts, 'Delivery', was chosen for the first single release. For me it was one of those all too rare tracks you find yourself utterly lost in, unable to escape and with no real desire to do so. And with lyrics like - “This song might deliver me straight from the harshness of misery,” who could blame me.

Other tracks worth mentioning are 'Un Bilo Titled', 'The Lost Art of Murder', 'French Dog Blues' and 'Deft Left Hand'. All of which scream of the Doherty I feared was long gone.

I’m still not convinced Babyshambles will ever really reach me the same way The Libertines did. Personally I just don’t think Peter Doherty and Carl BarĂ¡t work as well apart as they did together but I’m looking forward to any and all future releases in the hopes I’ll be proven wrong.

If you’ve yet to discover Doherty’s music then I suggest starting at the beginning but if that seems like too much effort then by all means give Shotters Nation a Spin. It’s quickly becoming one of my favourite releases of the year.

1 comment:

TransformerGeek said...

Great review! I probably won't pick up this CD anytime soon (still need to buy the Battles' 'Mirrored' CD and the Across the Universe CD), but I'll definitely put it on my 'to buy' list.