Saturday, December 29, 2007

endless rain into a paper cup

Some albums are like home to me. I listen to them and everything’s okay. I don’t have to worry cause’ I’m safe and secure and just plain happy when I’m in their presence. I’ve never really been like that with movies. They just don’t seem to have the same effect on me.

Of course there are films that I absolutely adore - Velvet Goldmine, The Producers (Gene Wilder version, not the new one…), High Fidelity, Empire Records…

Hmmm just realised that I only listed films with or about music there…didn’t really mean for that to happen. I’m sure I love some other films that have nothing to do with music - can’t think of any right now. But I’m sure they’re out there.

Anyway, not the point. I’ve just never really been that big of a movie person.

Until now.

Wow, did that sound as ominous as I think it did!? Meh, anyhow.

Lost my train of thought again…

Okay I’m back on track. Sorry -

Alright so I saw Across The Universe (a.k.a the best movie ever!) on Friday. Actually I saw it on Saturday as well. That’s how much I loved it.

Photobucket

For anyone who hasn’t heard of the brilliant, Across The Universe, it’s a film by director Julie Taymor and it tells the story of Jude, Lucy, Max, Sadie, JoJo and Prudence.

Now if those names are sounding at all familiar/suspicious to you then it’s with good reason as all of the characters are named after Beatles songs. Because the film is actually a musical and the story is told basically through Beatles songs.

Now if this is sounding somewhat lame to you then I’m not explaining it right because it is incredible. I was actually a little dubious at first because I adore The Beatles. They were the band that made me realise what music could be, what it is meant to be. And I’m sure they did that for a countless number of people but I have to say that without them I wouldn’t be a music Journo, I wouldn’t be at uni and I wouldn’t have the wonderful friends I have now. In fact I’d probably be working retail, bored out of my mind and listening to Justin Timberlake or someone else equally horrendous.

But yeah, suffice to say I was worried. I’m usually not a fan of people covering songs that I adore since they inevitably stuff it up. But I was just beyond impressed. The casting for ATU was amazing. The core group was incredible. They all were not only beautiful actors but they had incredible voices and just brought both the story and the songs to life.

I was basically in awe from the very beginning. It starts with Jude (played by the incredibly handsome Jim Sturgess) sitting on a beach in Liverpool. He looks into the camera and starts singing Girl. One of my favourite songs. I couldn’t help it, this huge grin took over my face and I was in love (with the film by the way, not Jim/Jude. Although he is lovely).

It’s been such a long time since a film has effected me so emotionally. I was invested from the very start smiling and laughing (and curbing the urge to sing out loud) and then it got to the part where Let It Be is played. Now I won’t say what’s happening during this sequence for those of you who haven’t yet seen it but lets just say - I burst into tears. I was a mess.

Seriously, it was awful. I was just so emotionally engaged and that really took me by surprise. I wasn’t expecting to be so moved by the film as a whole but I was.

There are at least three scenes that bring a tear to my eye (not always because it’s sad…I’m a happy crier. Annoying, I know.) and countless others which have me laughing out loud.

The entire experience was simply excellent. I can’t recommend this enough. It’s just pure brilliance.

Favourite music sequences include - I Want You (She’s So Heavy), Dear Prudence, Hey Jude, With a Little Help from My Friends, Revolution and All You Need is Love.

Favourite Characters would have to be Jude and Max hands down. Even though I really do love them all.

And The all time best quote ever would have to be when Max is trying to talk his way out of the army -

“I’m a cross-dressing homosexual pacifist with a spot on my lung.”

Pure brilliance. Max is my hero.

Now I know there is so much more I want to say about this film and with more clarity then I’ve managed so far but I’m far too tired to make sense right now so it’ll have to wait til later.

Cheers and go and see the film right this instant or at least rent/buy it when it comes out on dvd!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

there. right there.

you said everything i'd been trying to say about that movie. i'm a happy crier too (the Let It Be scenes killed me as well!) and totally fell in love with the movie from the first frame. it's been a long time for me too since i was so affected by a movie. i didn't see it again until weeks later, but the next day i went out and bought the soundtrack!

my favourite song sequences were Let It Be, Something, With A Little Help From My Friends, and I Want You, and Revolution - so we're slightly differet there, haha.

i don't think Julie Taymor could've done a better job. and you're right - her cast superb. thankfully there are fans like you who can so nicely articulate everyone's feelings!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely agree. I've seen the movie 8 times (never, ever done that before ever) and 'All you need is love' made me tear up everytime. Also, we share a name (albeit with different spelling) : D

Unknown said...

I've yet to see that movie, but I've heard fantastic things about it and I really want to (unfortunately I think now I'm going to have to wait until it comes out on DVD...)


I just saw your comment where you defended Cassadaga and I have to say that I WILL give it another chance. I'm probably just one of Conor Oberst's emo fans who felt betrayed when he started looking to bigger issues. I can respect the fact that he's matured in his lyrics and is focusing on issues that are bigger than himself, but it's just not the same as his old stuff. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly--mostly it's the instrumentation. I'll always love his lyrics, but the SOUND of him and his guitar recorded so sloppily on a 4-track was really really endearing.


I can agree with you on one point; "I Must Belong Somewhere" is one of the best songs he's ever written. I LOVE that song.