Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Wombats proudly presents A Guide To Love, Loss and Desperation Review

Photobucket

Liverpudlian indie pop trio, The Wombats have just released their new album, A Guide To Love, Loss and Desperation.

It’s a bit fuzzy as to whether or not this should be referred to as their debut record or not. I mean they did after all release a full length album in 2006 called Girls, Boys and Marsupials but it was only in Japan…I guess it depends on your point of view really.

Whether it be debut or sophomore is besides the point when it comes down to it. However you look at it, it’s brilliant. Without a doubt one of my favourite albums of ‘07.

The Wombats themselves only met in 2003 when frontman, Matthew Murphy and drummer, Dan Haggis were both enrolled at Paul McCartney’s Liverpool Institute Of Performing Arts. This meeting could have easily been the beginning of a boring cliché of a story but thankfully, The Wombats quirky, fun and original sound ensures that nothing about them is even remotely dull.

For a band with such a short history they certainly are managing some fantastic things - several EP’s, two LP’s (technically), several high profile support slots including Kaiser Chiefs and Babyshambles and their very own indie dance floor anthem with ‘Let’s Dance To Joy Division’.
There’s no doubt about it this band are making and impact and fast. And its really not hard to see why.

This would normally be the part of the review where I list my ‘stand out tracks’ but it’s difficult when the whole album’s a stand out. If I really had to choose though It would be hard to go past ‘Lost In The Post’, ‘Here Comes The Anxiety’, ‘Backfire At The Disco’, ‘Moving To New York’ (even though I actually prefer the version on Girls, Boys and Marsupials), ‘Little Miss Pipe Dream’ and of course ‘Let’s Dance To Joy Division’ because it’s literally impossible to sit stay still while this song is playing.

Okay, I know that was a lot of songs but I told you it was difficult. Actually I think I showed a fair amount of restraint by not just copying down the entire track listing.

If my near nauseating amount of gushing hasn’t already convinced you that The Wombats are your future favourite band then their music will. Give A Guide To Love, Loss and Desperation a spin. Hopefully you’ll love it as much as I do.

No comments: